Re: I need to make a deadman

To: Skip Albright <salbrigh@nycap.rr.com>
Subject: Re: I need to make a deadman
From: Trevor Boicey <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 21:29:02 -0500
Skip Albright wrote:

>  My driveway passes my garage, and I often put non running cars there.
>
> I need a deadman to hook a come-a-long or a winch to.
>
> How would I go about building one?
>
>  A phone pole would be nice, I could  hang a light and an outlet from
> it, but prolly overkill.
>
> I could plant a tree and wait, but I am in my 50's, might not be  the
> best choice...
>
> Steel pipe , filled with cement?

   This is a slightly different application, but at my old cottage, I
kept my boat on the waters edge on the trailer, and needed a solid point
to anchor the winch to to roll the trailer in and out of the water to
"launch" it.

   I just dug a hole as deep as I could with a hand auger, and dropped
in a sonotube and filled with cement.

   At the top, I put in a pair of stainless loops, and used them to hook
on the winch.

   Strong enough to pull my boat out of the water, probably strong
enough to drag any non-running vehicle around.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, trevor@boicey.com