Tankless whole-house water heater

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tankless whole-house water heater
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw@ipns.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:42:39 -0800
Hi,

We are considering replacing our current gas water heater (16 years
old) with either a newer, larger conventional unit or a whole-house
tankless unit.  They way our family's schedule is, we usually end up
having four people take showers over a period of an hour, and our
current tank just isn't up to that.

I've tried flushing the tank, and got a little rusty junk out, but
that hasn't make any difference. Except for replacing both the drain
valve and the pressure relief valve in the last few years, the unit
seem to be OK, though from various sources on the web it should be
past or near the end of its normal life span.

Given that I have a gas heater already, I realize that a tankless gas
heater may not "pay for itself", but the idea of basically freeing up
a 2' x 2' area in the garage with a fairly small box that hangs on
the wall is attractive in itself, and even if I don't end up saving
any money, saving natural gas seems like a worthwhile investment.

So, does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with a tankless,
whole-house water heater?

Thanks!

PS  Thanks to everyone who suggested dual breakers to free up a
couple of slots in my electrical panel for a circuit for kiln.  With
a little research I was able to find suitable breakers, and I also
found a GCI breaker to bring the circuit I added in the garage up to
code.

--
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS CTC67956L