RE: Thermal Cleaning at Home?

To: "Shop-Talk Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Thermal Cleaning at Home?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:25:32 -0800
> Has anyone every tried this at home, by sticking dirty parts in a
> self-cleaning oven?

No, but I have spot-heated parts with a propane torch to drive off any oil
in pores and whatnot.  Seems to help paint adhesion a good deal.

> I am thinking of experimenting with the incredibly scuzzy
> bellhousing from my
> '31 Ford whose engine I pulled last weekend.

Keep in mind that the self-cleaning cycle hits roughly 900F.  Personally,
I'd want to test the theory with something I could throw away if it went
wrong.

And as Mike points out, it's going to stink like crazy.  Even heating
"clean" parts to 300F left a smell that my late wife could detect days
later.

Randall