Re: Thermal Cleaning at Home?

To: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>,
Subject: Re: Thermal Cleaning at Home?
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:50:29 -0800 (PST)
>    Obviously a single man asking this question !
> All of us married
> men would know the answer to this question... WFT ?
> What the F do you
> think you are putting in my oven ?

Obviously I would do it while my wife is out not
around :-)
I think my wife would draw the line at powder coating,
though.

>    If you have an oven outside and that is what you
> meant then, I
> don't know the answer but I seriously doubt it would
> work from a
> 500+/- kitchen oven, I would think you would need
> higher temps to
> reduce block crud to ash.  And if you do get it hot
> enough, then what
> about warping ?

I believe the self-cleaning cycle gets to 600 deg. or
so.

I just finished an experiment:  the oven needed
cleaning anyway,
so I took a really cruddy bolt that had a thick layer
of gunk on the head and put it in the oven.

The self-cleaning cycle finished in 75 minutes, and
the
bolt had nothing left but a crust that was like dried
mud,
that easily came off under a stream of water with a
brush.

It came out much cleaner than my last experiment:
boiling a bolt
in a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water for 30
minutes.

Doug