Furnace Settings

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Furnace Settings
From: wmc_st@xxiii.com
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 00:43:01 -0500
At 07:19 PM 12/13/2005, you wrote:
>Just for contrast, my natural gas furnace appears to be original to
>the house, making it over 40 years old.  I've lubricated the
>bearings once in 15

Have you ever checked or adjusted the fan and limit switches in
it?  I was about 14 years old when I saw some discussion on Bob
Villa's show about it.  My parents about s**t when the gas bill
dropped by $600 in one year  ;)  That was like 1980ish, also.

Basically, the thermostat controls the burner and the limit switches
control the blower based on the internal temperature.  You want about
90dF low and 110 high.  It lets the burner pre-heat so you don't get
a cold blast, and runs the fan after the burner has shut off so you
don't waste heat up the chimney.

    -Wayne