Re: Heat question

To: John Bach <jbach@bgrcompanies.com>
Subject: Re: Heat question
From: philip ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 19:45:50 -0600
On Dec 6, 2005, at 2:38 PM, John Bach wrote:

> This is a question for the engineers on the list.  I am not an
> engineer.

Nor am I.

> I live in NW Ohio (cold).

I live in Minnesota (colder).

> I have a separate garage/shop heated with a natural gas furnace.

Sam ting.

>   I normally set the temperature around 50 when I leave

I leave it at 50 all the time.

> and 65 when I am working.

I thought I'd do that too, but I have discovered that I don't.  As
soon as I get working at something, I warm right up.  In fact, when I
start having troubles, I warm up more.

> It is currently about 25 outside.

It's currently somewhere around zero outside.

>   My question.  Assume my thermostat starts my furnace when the
> temperature drops 5 degrees from the current setting.  Does it take
> more energy to raise the temp from 60 to 65 than from 45 to 50?

Yes, due to the greater heat loss, but not so you'd notice it.  The
better your insulation, the less difference there is.

The 20 x 30 part that I heat has pretty-good insulation, and I don't
open the door all that often.  I use a through-the-wall 30,000 BTU
unit.  I thought it might require more than its little fan to
circulate the air, but the place seems evenly heated when I walk in
there.

My daily drivers live in the 20 x 20 part which is uninsulated,
ventilated, and cold.
1962 TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1994 Miata
C package
pethier@isd.net
http://forum.mnautox.com/forums/
http://www.lotuseuropa.org/gallery/view_album.php?