RE: http://www.garage-pak.com/

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: http://www.garage-pak.com/
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:50:15 -0400
At 05:29 PM 10/26/2005 -0400, Mullen, Tim \(IIS\) wrote:

>That's way too rich for my taste.  The stuff might be good for an
>industrial setting where it's necessary to change it often, but for my
>garage (if I ever get around to replacing the hoses I'm using instead of
>hard piping to connect my hose reels, etc.), I either use black piping
>or more likely cobble together some nice inexpensive copper pipes...

Inch,

I agree with Tim.  A friend of mine works for a construction firm, and had
access to a pipe clamp, a port-a-band, and the die and die wrench.  We bought
80' of black pipe, elbows, and couplings to plumb my shop.  There are at
least 6 90deg elbows 5 Ts.In my 2 bay garage, I have 1 drop by my compressor,
which is the feed, one drop with a ball valve (drain) and fitting over my
workbench, another drop by the side door of the garage (where I do all my
sand blasting), and one between both of the main garage doors.  This
supplies air to allow working in the driveway.

Total cost was around $150.     Used all but about 5' of the pipe.  With the
die we could thread our own, so we didn't need to have a bunch of different
length pipes around.  We custom made our own.

Originally we tried to seal the joints with teflon tape.  That didn't work.
We had a ton of air leaks.  So we pulled the system down and redid every
joint with "blue block" pipe sealent.  That fixed 95% or more of the leaks.

2 of use working on cutting, threading, and fitting the pipe, it took us about
about 4hr to scope out the job and get the supplies, 6hr on Sun. and then
3 hr for 4 night.  So a total of about 44hr.  Don't know how much of that
time was spent chasing leaks.

I've very happy with this setup, but I think if I were to do it again, I
might just use copper pipe, and sweat the joints together.  I think it
would be a little easier and possibly a little cheaper.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan