Bonding rubber to metal - Survey Results

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bonding rubber to metal - Survey Results
From: "rjhco" <rjh@hockertlaw.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:28:00 -0500
Many thanks to the list contributors who responded to my quest for personal
experience relating to bonding rubber to metal.

For future reference and for the benefit of archive searches, the following
are the products that were recommended (in the order in which the
information was received, not best to worst):

1.                Araldite Epoxy (formula 2043).  This is the real deal,
used in Aerospace, medicine, research, etc.  It is flexible and does the
job, but $$$$$$$$.  It appears to be a mix of epoxy and silicone.
Manufactured in Holland but available on line.

2.                Loctite two part epoxy (split syringe with clear part and
yellow part). Readily available but not flexible.  Good choice for bonding
directly to steel but not so good for rubber to rubber.

3.                Super glue.  Several recommended this solution.  Same
issues as two part epoxy.  Not flexible, not for rubber to rubber but has
worked for rubber to steel.

4.                3M auto weatherstrip adhesive (yellow contact cement).
Definitely works but may not be the strongest solution. Good choice for
non-heavy stress applications.

5.                Household Goop.  This is said to be the same as E6000,
with which I have some experience.  I expect that it will work but again not
for heavy stress applications. I am also not sure about heat near this
product. Readily available, E6000 can be found at Hobby Lobby.  It is
silicone based and glues about anything.

6.                Liquid Nails (the formula that is used for adhering rubber
cove base to walls).  This tip came from a friend at a car interior and
convertible installation and repair shop.  This shop has been around for 26
years and is the very best in North Texas.  They use Liquid Nails for trim
on Bentleys, Rolls, Ferrari, etc.  It must work.

Best regards,

Jim