Whole house water shutoff valve

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Whole house water shutoff valve
From: "PJ McGarvey" <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:51:17 -0400
I'm looking to reroute the outdoor spigot for some remodelling in the
basement, unfortunately there is no shutoff for it, as it comes directly off
the house's water supply.   There are two shutoffs where the water comes in
the house, one before and after the water meter.  Both look old and
untouched, for at least as long as I've been there (4 years).

What's invoved with contacting the water dept. to have it shutoff at the
street (should I bother installing a new shutoff?) or does anyone have any
good tips for making sure the shutoff will actually work for me after a long
period of unuse.  I recall something about penetrating oil to loose up the
valve and maybe "moisturize" the packing nut so it won't fail or leak after
I turn it back on (or off).

Thanks for any tips
PJ