Re: Sealing a tub drain

To: "Trevor Boicey" <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Sealing a tub drain
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:48:05 -0500
>   This is just one data point, but my wife redid a bathroom in our house a
> few years ago. Sealed the drain with putty. Seems fine, the room
> underneath would have a stained roof in a hurry if it did leak...

My admittedly intemperate comments are related to a few years down the
line - when the linseed oil (or whatever is in cheaper putties) in the putty
dries out and the stuff shrinks and cracks.  Even modeling clay will work
for a while - maybe longer than putty   ;-)

Ditto a toilet - many plumbers seal toilets with huge globs of putty instead
of a beeswax or urethane wax ring.  I just removed a wax ring at least 50
years old - still pliable and sticky.  And I've removed several putty-seated
toilets not many years old because the putty was cracked and leaking.

Maybe it's the cheap quality of the putty I've seen used......  I don't
really know - I'm not a professional - just an amateur who doesn't like to
do a hack job and who hates to repair anything twice.

Karl