Re: Sealing a tub drain

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sealing a tub drain
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:08:54 -0400
At 01:56 PM 9/13/2005, you wrote:
> > But it leaks after a few [days to weeks] when my daughter fills the tub.

I had a similar leak, caused by a botched installation when the house
was built.

Most the drain-shoe & overflow assemblies you buy at retail places
have slip fit tubes so they're easy to adjust.  The "pros", however,
use cut & glue drains.  The guy that did mine cut the tube to the
overflow about 1/2" short, and apparently didn't realize until after
it was glued.  Instead of re-doing it,  he just pulled it up to fit,
leaving it non-square to the drain.  It never did seal properly.  I
had to cut the thing out, fix the short tube, and reassemble.

As a quick check, you can unscrew the overflow cap and see if the
plumbing fits, or if someone did a similar hatchet job on yours.

   -Wayne