Re: Questions on Emissions

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Questions on Emissions
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 07:33:03 -0700
re:

> HOx isn't one of the tests, it must have been either NOx (nitrogen oxides) or
>HC
> (hydrocarbons).

Good point.  I assumed he meant hydrocarbons since the California test only
allows
about 400ppm NOx.   My SO's Country failed smog due to NOx, I put a new cat on
(per the tester's recommendation) only to remember that NOx is usually caused by
the EGR system.  It barely passed with the new cat; I'll need to check the EGR
system before the next test.

On this car (4.0L 6-cyl), the EGR involves a temp switch, a vacuum modulator for
the EGR valve and the EGR valve itself, any of which can fail.

bs