Re: weedwhacker style carbs...

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: weedwhacker style carbs...
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 14:45:06 -0400
Mark Andy wrote:
> I'm planning on changing the fuel & plug, but I was curious if anyone
> had any carb tuning advice for me.

   Get new fuel in there. The plug, probably less important for now, but
if it's original fuel, it wouldn't run well under any circumstances. Use
air-cooled 2 cycle oil, not the water cooled stuff. It's designed to run
at higher temps.

   Take the carb apart and spray carb cleaner everywhere and in every
little orifice and passage. It probably contains a tiny fuel diaphragm
fuel pump, inspect it but be careful with the diaphragm it might be
reusable if it's still pliable.

   Reassemble and test. Nothing too fancy about it, probably only has
one mixture adjustment, not the usual high/low speed. Adjust it until it
runs ok. If it has high and low speed, adjust the high speed one first
so it runs nice first and then set the low speed one so it idles without
stalling second.

   It probably also has an idle stop that might need to be adjusted if
it dies at idle but will idle if you give it a teensy bit of throttle.

   Not much too them. Prime cause of failure is blocked passages in the
carb from old gas, and fuel pumps that don't pump because the diaphragm
has lost it's pliability.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca