Re: cat 5e vs. cat 6?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: cat 5e vs. cat 6?
From: "Marknsuz" <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:33:24 -0700
>> It'd be pretty silly to pay extra for the
>> cable, and not use the right components throughout the system.

Actually, not silly at all.  When Cat 5 was new, the connectors were quite
pricey, but cat 3 conns were fairly cheap.  Same today with cat 5 and 6.
You can get cat 5 connectors for under $2.  It might make sense to put in
the better wire (though I think it isn't necessary) and use the less
expensive -and easily replaced- connectors.

The reason I think it isn't necessary to go to cat 6?  5 is quite good,
better than it is typically used for. With today's technology you can do
gigabit on it; tomorrow you can probably do far more. If you are really
concerned about the future put in some cat 1000 - also known as an empty
1/2" flexible conduit.  You can run whatever you need to in the future.

Mark Miller