RE: cat 5e vs. cat 6?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: cat 5e vs. cat 6?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:40:33 -0700
> It'd be pretty silly to pay extra for the
> cable, and not use the right components throughout the system.

The exception to that would be if you're only using Cat 6 as a "future proofing"
effort, and are willing to replace (hopefully easily accessible) connectors if
you do try to upgrade beyond Gigabit Ethernet.

FWIW, long time ago we installed Cat 5 with Cat 3 connectors for the same
reason.  Found that in most cases it worked just fine at 100 MHz.  But then, we
weren't pushing it right to the distance limit, either.

Randall