Re: Mold on the walls

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mold on the walls
From: Peter Murray <pete@partnercomm.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:13:46 -0400
Wayne-

I can't tell you how to remove it, though a dilution of bleach doesn't
sound like a bad idea (though I'd test to see what damage it might to to
the surface in question).

My rental townhouse felt pretty humid downstairs last summer, even with
the central air was running. When I moved in, I'd noticed the area
carpet down there was a bit wet, which I initially atributed to carpet
cleaning - but it stayed that way for quite a while. I then noticed some
mold high on a wall in a separate room, and figured it was time to
install a dehumidifier. I pull a *lot* of water out of the air with it
(I have to empty the unit every 48 hours or so). The place seems pretty
well sealed up, so I suspect it's more a function of a high local water
table.

Reduction of humidity is the best way that I know of to keep this
problem at bay. The unit I bought from Sears does a fine job. It isn't
too loud, has good dehumidification and water capacity (as well as the
ability to drain via a hose to a floor drain, especially helpful given
how fast this unit pulls water out of the air). The humidity level is
set in increments of 5%, and it can be put on a 3 or 6-hour cycle.
They're not too expensive, and should last many years.

Good luck!

-Peter

--
Peter Murray (N3IXY)