Re: Garage lifts and garage doors

To: JAMES STONE <jandkstone99@msn.com>, Shop-Talk
Subject: Re: Garage lifts and garage doors
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 10:54:55 -0700
> that are parallel to the ground at the top.  Is it possible to use
> tracks that follow the line of the joists so that the door is also 11
> feet high at the center?

Yes, it is, we did it.  For exactly the same reasons you're doing it.
We also put flourescent troffer light fixtures and flush-mounted fire
sprinkler heads in the garage to minimize intrusion on the overhead
space (which is pretty much the same as yours, though the garage is only
two cars wide)

I'd talked to a lot of shops that couldn't do it or didn't want to
bother with it, though.

The opener is mounted vertically alongside the door.  Not sure where
you're at, in our case it was R&S Erection in Burlingame, CA that did
the work - highly recommended.

http://www.milleredp.com/~jem/image/tools/opener1.jpg
http://www.milleredp.com/~jem/image/tools/opener2.jpg
http://www.milleredp.com/~jem/image/tools/opener3.jpg