Re: Interchangeable Implements of Destruction

To: "E. John Puckett" <ejpuckett@centurytel.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Interchangeable Implements of Destruction
From: Steve Dillen <sdillen@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 07:39:12 -0700
I was looking at the Stihl equipment a couple of years ago and had
pretty much decided to not buy the KM model, but instead to get an FS
since you can still interchange attachments...i.e. all of the
attachments that you can get for the KM, you can also get for the
full-length shaft trimmers for a little bit less money.  Replacing
attachments on the FS series involves loosening a couple of bolts.  If
you decide to go with Stihl, check into this...you may save some money
and the attachments are identical, just not quite as convenient to
switch.  Having said that, if you're looking at a 55 powerhead, it seems
that the FS55 has a flexible shaft and therefore isn't as "abuse
friendly" as the KM55 would be.

The only reason I didn't buy one then was because I was basically given
one of the Ryobi click-link powerheads with a string trimmer.  I then
got one of the roto-tiller attachments which was very useful for putting
in flower beds.  Unfortunately, the tiller I got apparently didn't get
properly greased (or more accurately, should have been filled with gear
oil) from the factory and wore the teeth off the gears in about 10 hours
of use.  I know, it's my fault for not checking it, but for a brand new
attachment, I certainly didn't expect to have to change the gear
lubricant before use...  My neighbor has the John Deere flavor of the
same machine and uses the trimmer/blower/tiller/limb saw attachments on
it commercially and has never had a problem with any of them.

If I was buying one now, I think I'd stick with my original plan and get
a Stihl FS powerhead (probably an FS85 or the FS110) and then buy the
attachments as I needed them.

Steve