Re: Interchangeable Implements of Destruction

To: "Rush" <jdrush@enter.net>, "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Interchangeable Implements of Destruction
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:52:50 -0500
This will be my third summer with the Echo stuff.

PAS-260 power unit
http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_item.asp?Model=PAS-260&Category=PROATTACH

Rapid Loader Trimmer
http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_item.asp?Model=RAPID-LOADER&Category=PROATTACH

Pruner
http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_item.asp?Model=POWER%20PRUNERT&Category=PROATTA
CH

Brush Cutter
http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_item.asp?Model=BRUSHCUTTER&Category=PROATTACH

When I made my choice it was based on the Echo being the only one that I could
find locally with a serious brush cutter attachment. Even thought I felt I was
limited in choices I do not regret the decision - both the Echo part and the
interchangable part.

Having only one motor to maintain is a real nice feature and I've been pleased
with the power, performance and reliablilty of the Echo. But if someone else
suggests Echo's suck and you should by brand X, I will not be offended.

The interchangeable shafts and connectors seem to be as robust [or more so]
that I'd seen on the cheaper 'single task' models. I've abused the brush
cutter enough to be on my third blade [two the first year, one last year, a
spare ready for later this year] but have not had any problems with the shaft,
gearbox housing, etc.

I've only used the pruner a few times but each time I've been satisfied with
its performance and with the robust build quality.

Same way with the trimmer - seem's to be quite well built.

The only down side that I could imagine [especially with the bigger power
unit] is that it may be a little 'bulky' for a hedge trimmer. But I have no
idea what you were using before, and I don't have a hedge nor the hedge
trimmer accessory, so that is simply speculation. I'd be sure to check out the
'weight and balance' with the trimmer attachment to see if it suits you
needs.

I'm also not sure about pricing. If I recall correctly, I could have purchased
trimmers that were much less money than what the power unit and trimmer
attachment cost. But in my case I could not have bought a trimmer, a pruner
and a brush cutter for less than what I paid for the ensemble that I have,
plus the single engine, plus the build quality, etc.. Your situation seems to
be a little more main stream than mine was so the cost/benefit may not be
there.

Arvid