Re: wood overhead

To: Skip Albright <salbrigh@nycap.rr.com>
Subject: Re: wood overhead
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 20:20:10 -0500
Don't the rafters sit on top of the walls? They usually do. If not, you
may be able to install joist hangers around each end of the beam where
it meets the end wall. Go ahead and double up the rafters first, then
find joist hangers at your local hardware store/Lowes/Home Depot, etc.

You may also need to put in studs into the walls under the location of
the beam, or beef up the ones that are there. This will transfer the
load to the slab or concrete perimeter beam.