RE: Gravel/Dirt driveways

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Gravel/Dirt driveways
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 12:00:57 -0700 (PDT)
We have an elcheapo gravel driveway at our mountain cabin. We got
several yards of 3/4" drain rock and spread it about 3-4" thick.
That's all. It had some fines (it wasn't completely washed) and has
firmed up over a couple of rainy seasons and some driving.

We put a French drain about halfway down the length of the driveway
(the house is below the roadbed) to help the drainage; then we added
a few more yards last winter, both filling in and extending all the
way to the roadbed. They haven't quite firmed up yet.

It's a huge improvement over the mudbath left by the previous owners.