Re: Gravel/Dirt driveways

To: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Subject: Re: Gravel/Dirt driveways
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 11:08:41 -0500
On 6/3/05, Rush <jdrush@enter.net> wrote:

> The best gravel roads are made in layers. The largest stone first then
> layer progressively smaller sizes and compact each layer. Put a lot of
> tailings (the grit that is washed from the other stone, cheaper than
> dirt) as the last layer before your top stones and work them into the
> gaps of the gravel and it will set up almost like hard pavement. 8-12
> inches should stand up to whatever load a pickup can deliver.

Depending on what the subsoil is, it may be necessary to compact the
subsoil so that the gravel doesn't sink into it.  Worst case requires
importing a suitable subsoil base before the gravel.  I'd also
investigate what people build gravel driveways out of in your area.
If there's a suitable local material, it'll be cheaper than limestone.
 Unless, of course, limestone is the suitable local material...
Trucking rocks isn't cheap.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com