Cable ties as hose clams

To: "Shop-Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cable ties as hose clams
From: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:35:14 -0500
I am attempting to repair the 1986 vintage 8 hp outboard which I use to get
my sail boat in and out of the slip.  All of the fuel lines on this motor
are held in place by what appear to be black cable ties in places where one
would expect to hose clams of some sort.  This winter I had to remove and
disassemble the carburetor in order to fix a gummed up float valve.  Since
there is no room for regular hose clamps, I used some nylon cable ties from
Radioshack.

One of the hoses leaks where it slips over a brass fitting, leading me to
suspect that I do not have the cable tie tight enough.  I tightened it by
holding the square part with a screw driver while I pulled on the "tail"
with a pair of pliers.  Any suggestions as to how I might be able to get
this one tighter?  Is my leak problem the result of using the wrong kind of
cable tie for the job?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss