RE: car batteries. who do you trust?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: car batteries. who do you trust?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:29:07 -0800
> Perhaps the battery makers make up batteries to the sellers individual
> specs? Like, for instance, a chilled food maker might make up dishes to
> individual supermarket's recipes. Same maker - different outcome.

I think that's very likely.

> Not sure how much latitude there is in construction while still achieving
> the various ratings, but it does seem to be a possibility, with longevity
> being the end variable. Maybe someone with actual knowledge of what matters
> in battery construction could chip in?

Definitely possible.  I'm no expert on battery construction, but I do know that
one of the variables is simply how much dead space is left below the grids.
Over time and usage, this space gradually fills with conductive debris and when
it reaches the bottom of the grids, it shorts that cell.

Randall