Re: Wireless Internet Networks

To: Peter Murray <pete@partnercomm.com>
Subject: Re: Wireless Internet Networks
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:07:31 -0500
Peter Murray wrote:
>>   I had a dead spot in my house that was solved by moving my router
>> about 1 meter. Go figure. It won't work miracles, but you never know.
>>
> Certainly - working at 2.4GHz, you can get much sharper shadowing than
> you would experience with your FM radio, for example. The higher the
> frequency of the radio signal, the more like visible light it will behave.

   In my particular case, I couldn't use my laptop sitting in the
fireplace room on the main floor, with the router in the basement.

   However, a lot of ductwork, joists, and perhaps a steel beam or two
pass around the area where that room sits on. With the router high on a
shelf in the basement, I suspect it was looking through all that stuff
at a very shallow angle.

   I moved the router basically straight down 1m to a low shelf, and it
worked. I suspect because it is now looking through that stuff at a much
sharper angle so the thickness it has to penetrate is much less. The
signal is still weaker than normal in that spot but it works.

   (I think the signal strength is around 40% where it used to be around
0%/6%/13%... signal strength is quantized to 16 levels so it jumps about
6% at a time and under 20% it's hard to hold a signal)

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca