Re: welders MIG vs. TIG

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: welders MIG vs. TIG
From: orphancars@direcway.com
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:45:43 -0600
WARNING -- yet another long, boring reply :^)

Well - maybe I'll be a dissenting vote and say that
Ilove my MIG...........although I don't have any
basis for comparison.

A few years ago when I got to the point in my car
project that I needed to start cutting and modifying
my frame rails so that the engine and trans would
fit, I consulted my automotive mentor who has
many years welding with MIG and TIG.  He told me
then that a MIG would be the best way to go, and go
with  solid core, stay away from the flux core
stuff.   Told me that my welds would structurally be
equivalent to TIG, just perhaps not as pretty.
Of course I was also told to practice, practice,
practice.

I got my first lesson when my gear arrived -- and
that lesson was about 15 minutes long!  Again, I
was told to practice, and was given a box of scraps
to work on.  Thick stuff, thin stuff....

Fast forward almost 5 years, and I've used my
MIG for not just that initial engine swap project,
but I did my "practice tour" welding up approx.
60 feet of custom fencing for the dog kennels
alongside my shop, and just finished up making a
chassis table and a fixture to hold the body for
car project #2.  Without actually using a TIG, I
can only guess that the technique is perhaps
different -- seems that things happen quicker when
MIG welding.  I do know that prep counts for a
lot -- when I rush and don't clean or match up my
joints very well, the welds look sloppy or I get
the dreaded burn-through (remedy:  more wire
speed -- more material will cool the area and
stop the burn through or more appropriately
feed the large spark your're generating.  Also,
make sure you're not too far away from the work
as a larger gap contributes to burn through as
well).  Guess that's going to happen with either
approach.......

I do know another friend that has been welding
since he was about 8 (seriously).  Seen a MIG in
his capable hands and his welds come out looking
as if they were TIG'd.  So, it is all about
technique.

I have thought about someday getting a TIG, but
the cost is indeed expensive and there are a few
other things in the shop I'd like to get my
mitts on first (nice lathe and a mill are just
two of the things Santa didn't bring this year..).
I also know that although the weld may not look
pretty, I know what it takes to get good
penetration, and a few seconds cleanup with a
flap wheel and primer and things look pretty
damn decent.  I've also seen what I can do if
I just take my time, practice on a few scraps
to get the voltage and feed right, and in those
cases, the welds rival the look of a good TIG
weld.  So, I guess what I am saying is that if
you take yout time with a TIG or a MIG, you
get good looking welds.....

Again, I do think in most cases, decent
equipment can make all the difference in the
world.  I have a Lincoln Mig Pak 15 -- decent
machine, wouldn't trade it.

Also -- move that racedeck flooring!!  I've had
splatter set the masonite boards I use to protect
my floor set on fire!  Granted, this would be
avoided if you had a MIG.......

Someone else might have the answer to this -- can
TIG be done on a vertical piece, or must the piece
be flat?  Seems like my best MIG welds come when I
have to do work on a vertical plane.......

Thanks for reading -- hope this helps,

-jeff d
198? Fiero GT/V8 (the engine swap car)
1973 TVR 2500M (the next engine swap/project car)