Re: quick generator help?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: quick generator help?
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 10:43:53 -0400
Not exactly. The disconnect switch is there to prevent the generator
from trying to energize the line back out to power lines and pose a
problem for power company personnel who are trying to restore service.

But you are correct in that if your backup generator doesn't have
sufficient capacity to operate the entire house, then you should have a
transfer panel set up to transfer only those essential circuits to the
generator.

I am not nitpicking on terminology - you are dealing with lethal power,
and setting up a backup generator is not like putting a sprinkler on a
garden hose; it takes planning and care to make sure that 1. you don't
electrocute someone (including you), 2. don't burn your house down, and
3. don't asphyxiate you and your family by placing the generator in the
wrong place. While all this might seem obvious, these problems occur all
too often.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Our elections are free, it's in the results where eventually we pay.
-Bill Stern, sports announcer (1907-1971)