Re: quick generator help?

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: quick generator help?
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:56:48 -0700
On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 08:29:40PM -0400, Scott Hall wrote:

> y'all
>
> I'm in florida, right in frances' projected path.  I have access to a
> 10,000 watt (that'd be 10kW by my reckoning) twin-cylinder honda generator,
> a 3 cylinder diesel 8 kW generator, or a 4 cylinder diesel (I think it
> might be ~8kW as well) generator.
>
> the honda is $2000, the 3-cyl diesel is $3,000, and the 4-cylinder is $2500.
>
> my question is more about the rated kW of each.  are they rated like air
> compressors, where 10 kW isn't, in fact, 10 kW?

10kW is 10kW... except its usually on at least two circuits.
So you can't get all 10kW to one device.

I balance the load on my generator by plugging lights and computers
into one circuit and fridge or heater blower into the other
(in california we get our outages in the winter).
A 5kW Honda single gas generator works fine for us.

I'd select based on 1) availability of gas vs diesel and 2) mobility.
You're gonna have to find a place for the thing.

Gas generators of reasonable size can be hand started.  Dunno about
diesel but I'd guess it'd be hard to start a 3 or 4 cyl diesel by hand
if their battery runs down.

Don't forget extension cords.  You will probably need special
locking plugs on some of em, I did for my Honda generator.

> I tend to believe the
> 4-cyl diesel would deliver the most power, followed by the 3-cyl, then the
> honda.  as well, the 4-cyl is mounted on a skid and huge, the 3 on a
> trailer, and the honda is a little bitty lookin' thing.  how can it
> possible out-supply the bigger ones?

Its not made to run for a year or two on end like the diesels.

If it were me I'd stick with gas for emergency use unless I had
diesel vehicles already (to use as a backup fuel source).

Good luck!

Eric