Re: Copper Brake Lines

To: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Copper Brake Lines
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:18:34 -0600
Jim,

Several materials have been / are being used for brake piping.
First & worst is regular copper. Copper work hardens with vibration &
flexing & fatigue cracks. Not good for brake or fuel lines.

Low carbon annealed steel has been used for many years. It is not
subject to fatigue failure but has rust & corrosion problems.

Various coatings have been used to protect the steel, such as, copper &
tin plating.

A 90% copper - 10% nickel alloy (UNS C70600) has been used in Europe for
many years. It has the fatigue resistant qualities of steel & very high
corrosion resistance. I don't know whether present US car manufacturers
& racing organizations are sanctioning It's use or not.
http://www.copper.org/applications/automotive/brake.html

The confusion may be between copper, copper plated steel, & 90/10 copper
- nickel, which all look pretty much alike.

Dave Russell