Re: water pressure, was:Re: Shallow well water pumps

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: water pressure, was:Re: Shallow well water pumps
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 06:21:05 -0400
In addition to Dave's remarks, I don't think you really want more than
60 psi in your home - higher pressure is very hard on things like toilet
tank valves, ice makers, water heaters, and other fixtures. In the part
of our town that has piped in water, they require pressure reducers on
all subscribers' inlets to avoid such problems; the pressure at the
street can be as high as 100 psi (depending on how far below the tower
the house is), and more than one home (without a reducer) had burst
water heaters.

If your real problem is low flow rate, not low pressure, you may have
clogged pipes from calcium carbonate precipitation (aka "hard water").

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ