Re: Raccoon bait

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Raccoon bait
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 05:52:10 -0400
Raccoons don't "carry" rabies; they get infected when they kill and eat
infected rodents, etc. and die within a few days. If a raccoon is
foraging for food at night, it is not likely to be infected, but if it
is out during the day, doesn't run away when approached or behaves in
other non-raccoon ways, it probably is. We use either tuna fish or tuna
based cat food in the large "Have-A-Hart" traps. It helps to not touch
the meat (or the washed cage) to avoid tainting it with human scent, but
"city" raccoons are not all that choosey. Don't bother taking the trap
just a mile down the road to release the animal - he (or she) will be
back for more tuna fish before you return home. You need to take them a
LONG way from home - like 10 or more miles at least. (at which time they
will become someone else's problem)

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful.
-Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, philosopher (1844-1900)