Re: AOL blocking team.net?

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Subject: Re: AOL blocking team.net?
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 07:00:49 -0700
On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 07:21:44AM -0400, Nolan Penney wrote:

> Yes, my post was a tongue in cheek post.  Truly, I am aware that viruses
> and worms are not capable of reaching out of my computer screen and
> flipping on mechanical switches (rolling of the eyes).
>
> About the safety of majordomo, don't count on it.  I've had several
> infected messages have come through it.

No one does.  Its demime that team.net is using to filter out MIME.
I use it on the lists I run as well, and I have
yet to see it let a MIME attachment through.

Of course as you point out some malware
does not spread through attachments.  But the
vast majority of it does.

> It's a funny worm that's picked up my address and the shop-talk
> address.  Seems to rotate slowly through a list of names.  Currently,
> I'm getting fake messages of the same type from Kelowna instead of me or
> shop-talk.  In fact, I'm not sure it's a worm at all.  The messages I've
> checked were all coming from the isp 142.173.55.61.  But it's through a
> series of relays.

Mail nearly always goes through a series of relays.
Some of them are even real. :-)
Spammers often use fake Received: lines to attempt to
prevent tracking.

The IP address 142.173.55.61 points to
akge29hfy42t4.bc.hsia.telus.net.  Telus.net is a large Canadian ISP.
That address is a dynamically-named dial-up.
I've received spam, mail, and worms from varying sources in
their network.

I didn't bother to save any of the "Nolan Penney" worms.
If I get another I'll look at it and see what I can figure out.

Eric