Re: AOL blocking team.net?

To: LBC286@aol.com
Subject: Re: AOL blocking team.net?
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:20:37 -0700
On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 10:36:52AM -0400, LBC286@aol.com wrote:

> Very interesting, but where are you getting your information?  I have been on
> several team.net lists for about 4 years and have not gotten a virus on my
> computer from any source.  Team.net does not allow attachments, so if you get
> e-mail from a team.net address WITH an attachment, DELETE IT!!  It is
>probably a
> virus using a spoofed address.  I have NEVER gotten one that way.
>
> I have never heard of a virus that is capable of turning on the power to a
> computer.  Where does it get the power to do that?

Through the magic of sarcasm!

Anyone who knows enough to be able to read mail headers
can verify that Nolan's not the actual source of the "viruses".
(those that go through the team.net mail server get
their attachments stripped and are thus rendered harmless).

There have been lots of viriuses/worms that forge email to
appear to be from a list of valid addresses.  My address
is used by some of these virii.  I have received mail "from"
people who have been dead for 7 or 8 years.

It's trivial to spoof email to appear to be "from" anyone
you choose... it's just a matter of knowing what to type.
So don't beleive that any mail is "from" who it claims to be from.

Eric