Re: weed eater

To: Jan Goethals <janealpg@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: weed eater
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:08:52 -0800
On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 10:11:06AM -0600, Jan Goethals wrote:

> I need a really heavy duty weed eater to trim/keep weeds off of an
> electric wire surrounding 20 acres as well as cross fencing inside the
> 20 acres.  Tractor mowing will not complete the job well enough to get
> up under the fence.  The "weeds" are really thick and often growing in
> an area that stays wet/muddy.  The weed eater I have now (Ryobi 775i (?)
> is a 4 cycle gas engine and OK for the one acre yard but not the pasture
> trimming and other maintence around other buildings.  Any
> recommendations?  I really get tired of changing the plastic string and
> the trimming I do really eats it up fast.  Have any of you used the
> metal blades that can be attached to a weed eater?  Consumer reports
> recommends a John Deere weed eater, but I don't think it is much more
> powerful than the Ryobi I have now.
> Thankyou,
> Jan

I have a mid-line Stihl weed-eater.  I think it's an FS85.
It does MUCH better than the consumer-grade Ryobi I used to use.

The string is a heavier duty and lasts longer, plus it carries more.

I have tried the metal blade thing and it doesn't do as well
as string for most weeds.  It can handle larger woody weeds than
the string can, but not by much.  Many people feed the string in
to the weeds too fast, which doesn't cut as well and goes through
string quicker..    Only the tips of the string cut well.

Based on my Stihl experience I would recommend one.  Possibly
the next model up from the 85.  If the string can't handle your weeds
get a saw blade instead of the metal blades thing.

Eric