Re: question on joists need.

To: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Subject: Re: question on joists need.
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:43:20 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Mike Rambour wrote:

>      /\
>     /  \
>    /    \
>   --------  <-- These is what I am talking about, there are 3 of them over
> the span of 22'
>   |      |
>   |      |

just looking at this, it looks like that's exactly what they're for--to
keep the roof from pushing the walls out.  that's if I'm reading that
right.

it it were me I'd have somebody look at it first.  no doubt there's a way
to remove them safely.  maybe stronger joists at each end?  you could
always wrap the garage walls near the roof with a steel band--that'd give
you the tension you need and plenty of open space inside <grin>.

in earthquake country, I'd want to be extra sure about this.

fwiw,

scott