Re: Ordered a parts washer

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ordered a parts washer
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 08:43:16 -0400
I don't think that latex is "bad", but it is not the best thing for working on
machinery. I use the blue Nitrile gloves that I get from my local NAPA
affiliate, and they are pretty much unaffected by anything but prolonged
exposure to carbutetor/brake cleaner spray. I can usually get a full day out of
a pair, unless I tear them on something sharp. So at about $12/hundred (50
pairs) I feel the price is right for the protection they provide. They are also
much more comfortable than latex (to me). I tried the Nitrile gloves from
Harbor
Freight, but they were not up to the quality of the ones I got locally and cost
about the same. The Nitrile gloves from Gempler's are much more expensive, but
suspect that they might be even stronger and last longer than the ones I use.

Mike

Jim Franklin wrote:
> On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 12:28:35AM -0400, Richard Beels wrote:
>
>>The lotions will also increase the absorption of latex into the
>>skin.  increased absorption = increased risk of developing allergy to latex.
>>
>>At 22:01 04/30/2002,  Randall Young was inspired to say:
>>

>>>Any petroleum product will attack latex gloves.  ISTR there was a warning
>>>circulating in health care circles a few years back not to use even hand
>>>lotion under latex gloves, as many hand lotions contain petroleum products
>>>(like Vaseline), and so would damage the gloves.  There are also warnings
>>>not to use Vaseline or similar products with latex condoms, same reason.
>>

> SO latex is bad? At what point does the danger of latex outweigh the
> chemical it is supposedly protecting you against? I also thought latex was
> non-organic, therefore couldn't be an allergen. Is it really an allergy
> or just a heightened sensitivity? Would it be safer, from a latex absorption
> standpoint, to not use the gloves when using the SA?
>
> questionably,
> jim

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
(msloane@att.net)
<http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>

"In America, we tax work, investment, employment, savings,
and production, while we subsidize non-work, consumption,
and debt. It's time we reverse this trend." --Jack Kemp