lots of oil

To: "Chris Heerschap" <Heerschap@kns.com>,
Subject: lots of oil
From: "Paul F Mele" <Paul.Mele@usermail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:21:23 -0500
<<Does anyone know if it is possible to buy Mobil 1 in any quantities
larger than the 5 qt you can occasionally find?  I go through quite a
bit, and>>

I;m going to play devil's advocate a moment here.

Seems like there's lots of info to support MUCh longer drain intervals
originally promised by synthetics...easiest way to prove it to yourself is
to send a sample of your own oil every 5000 miles for analysis to 'measure'
how long it lasts in your application.  30,000 on the same oil is not
uncommon.  once you establish your tolerance on this, the $20 fee for
analysis can be saved for when you're think you're getting near the end.

Advantage here, of course, is a lot less time
changing/buying/storing/?wasting? oil, plus all the operative benfits of the
synthetic.

Please note that the FILTER still gets changed every 4-6000 miles.

my personal example of this:
1986: built a stroked and bored BMW 6 for my Bavaria; ported, cam, headers,
weber carbs..you know.
Used as daily driver for 10 years, plus about 4000 track miles at BMW
driver's schools.
Mobil 1; 12,000 mi drain intervals (never did "test" the oil back then, as
mentioned above); engine used about 1 qt oil/ 2000 mi, so some replenishment
occurred.
Sold car with 196,000 mi on that drivetrain.  guy who bought it opened up
the filler cap and saw shiney clean aluminum head inside...accused me of
cleaning it out to make it look good for sale!
Then drove and loved the performance of the engine.
Then stripped the car down and raced it in SVRA (often) 2 more years on that
engine.  Pulled engine out because he wanted to freshen it up.  I await his
report on this.
At the time, I thought I was really going out on a limb with 12,000 mi
changes in my baby.

OK...and now for everyone else's thoughts....

Paul