Re: Misc junk: welding to stainless, car jack pads, and

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Misc junk: welding to stainless, car jack pads, and
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 19:09:21 -0500
Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing wrote:

> So I finally got the nice Lincoln service jack that I've wanted for quite a
> while.  Now that I have it though, I can't figure out a good way to use it
> w/o possibly damaging the cars' undercarriages.  I could have sworn that the
> jack I saw had something to lift a car by the pinch weld; looked sort of like
> a plastic block with a slit in it, but the jack I got has a standard cup-like
> lift pad.  Do you guys know what I'm talking about and where to get one?

Just about any suspension component on a modern car is strong enough to
be jacked on. At the shop, we even used to jack up cars with the rear
anti-roll bar, but I wouldn't recommend it. I bent a mount or two that
way.

The slit cut in a 2 X 4 will work nicely too. Where does the owner's
manual show a jacking point? That's where you want to put your custom
jack pad. It's possible to wrinkle sheetmetal if you just jack up any
old place on the pinch weld.

I trim my 2 X 4 to fit just inside the lips of the jack pad so it
doesn't slip.

Jon Rush