Misc junk: welding to stainless, car jack pads, and tracing

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Misc junk: welding to stainless, car jack pads, and tracing
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:03:14 -0800
Hey everyone!

Hope you all had a great holiday season!  I was fortunate enough to get some
nifty
presents, and some free time to actually try them out.  Of course, in our
household,
that leads to more open-ended projects and dumb questions... =8^)

So I finally got the nice Lincoln service jack that I've wanted for quite a
while.  Now that I have it though, I can't figure out a good way to use it
w/o possibly damaging the cars' undercarriages.  I could have sworn that the
jack I saw had something to lift a car by the pinch weld; looked sort of like
a plastic block with a slit in it, but the jack I got has a standard cup-like
lift pad.  Do you guys know what I'm talking about and where to get one?

Present #2 was a neat little tv/vcr combo to stick in the workshop.  I've just
got to find a way to route the cable to it.  On the side of my house, there are
5 cable lines feeding into the house.  The thing is, there are only 3 cable
jacks inside the house (none of which are close to the workshop), and only 2
of them work.  Where did the other lines go?  I'm interested in figuring out
where they went, and hopefully find that one of them is close to the workshop.
A few years ago, when the alarm guy was over to install some more sensors, he
had some he called a "warbler" (?) which he used to determine where some of
the existing lines ran so he could tie into them.  He was in a rush, so he
wasn't able to take the time to explain what it was, or how it worked.  Well,
I'm thinking something similar to that would be the ticket to figuring out
the cable lines in our house.  How does something like that work?  Or is there
another (easier?) way to find out where the lines go, other than knocking down
drywall?

And finally, I got a nifty little carbon fiber do-dad for my motorcycle; an
exhaust heat guard.  To install it requires welding 2 nuts onto the exhaust
pipe.  The exhaust is made out of stainless steel, while the nuts, and my
welding setup are for plain steel.  Now, this isn't really a high-stress
application, as the part weighs a couple of ounces, but the exhaust will get
very hot, and is subject to a lot of vibration.  Would I be able to weld
the nuts on with my MIG setup, or do I need to get some stainless nuts and
have a shop weld them on for me?

Thanks folks, and hope everyone has a prosperous New Year!
Mike