Re: Pouring a small concrete slab

To: noemi@nebcom.com
Subject: Re: Pouring a small concrete slab
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 20:43:49 EST
> We need to put a small (4'x6'?) slab into our small dirt-floor
> basement (12'x12'), on which to place a boiler, indirect water
> storage tank, and various other underfloor radiant heat (yee-haw!)
> accoutrements.  So this doesn't have to be a heavy-duty
> rebar-reinforced thing or anything.

I'm behind in reading, and see the "how to pour" has been
answered pretty well.  But how about "just buy it".

Would the pre-poured slabs used for external airconditioning
units work for this project?  I'm not sure of the sizes available,
but when we replaced an AC compressor a few years back, the new
unit was bigger than the old.  I had always assumed the small
slabs under the two units were poured, but they just lifted
out the old, cleared a slightly larger spot and dropped in a
new, larger one.

Call an AC contractor, or even just Lowes or Home Depot to see
if they have something which will work for your project.  I don't
know if they go to the 4x6 size, but perhaps even mulitples of
a smaller size might work.  (But if you've got boilers and water
tanks involved, a poured slab might be a better choice...)

Joe