Re: anodizing aluminum.....

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: anodizing aluminum.....
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 12:17:32 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerald Brazil"

> I have a small project made of aluminum that I want to have a black
finish.
> "Tool Black" which works fine on ferrous metals won't do anything to
> aluminum. Does anybody on the list know of an inexpensive way to get it
> black other than paint?

A company named "Birchwood Casey" makes a product called "Aluminum Black"
which does a number on aluminum just like "Tool Black" does on steel.  It's
a gunsmith type product and you can find it at any good gunshop .  .  .  I
think I MAY have seen it at the gun department of a Walmart store.  I've
used it to blacken the letters on a cast aluminum valve cover and it is long
lasting but will wear off if subjected to abrasion.

Cheers,
Tony