Re: 208v Air Compressors

To: Derek Harling <derek.lola@home.com>,
Subject: Re: 208v Air Compressors
From: "Phil Ethier"<pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 21:52:23 GMT
>Don't know whether this will help anyone else - but what I understand from
Donald's
>explanation is that the three phases are equal and balanced but the neutral
is not
>"at the center". Makes sense to my mechanical brain.
>

>Donald H Locker wrote:
>
>> Hmmmm.  I'll try some ASCII art.

>>            / \
>>           /   \
>>          /     \
>>         /       \
>>        /         \
>>       /           \
>>      /             \
>>     /               \
>>    A--------n--------B

This looks like the "DELTA" configuration.  There is also a configuration known
as "WYE".  Don't mix them up.

We had a bake-out oven when I used to build electron-beam lasers.  The
electricians
wired it wrong.  They didn't even have the decency to test the oven.  I did
not know this.  There was a large contactor in a metal case mounted up on the
top of the framework.  I flipped on the oven switch and the contactor closed.
 An virtually exploded.  The cover blew off and bounced against our fume hood
and back against the oven and back a few times before clattering across the
floor.  Damn, my heart stopped.  My boss'

Get a book.  Look up these two wiring methods and be damned sure you know what
you are doing.

Phil "that's not the only time shoddy work by folks in that lab scared the hell
out of me" Ethier

///