Re: Ride on mowers (was RE: weed trimmers)

To: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Subject: Re: Ride on mowers (was RE: weed trimmers)
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:38:21 -0700
On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 01:26:35PM -0400, Rush wrote:
> Can you explain why you like the foot tranny control? I'll be in the
> market for a new mower next season, and I've started to study my
> options.

The main reason is that I drive the Kubota a lot more, so I'm used to it.
Secondary is that you can adjust your speed with both
hands on the wheel, and every so often I'd like to change my speed
while I'm turning... mostly because since I got the Kubota, I
can do that.

OTOH, with the foot speed control you hve to hold it down (unless
you engage the cruise control) so for flat lawn where you
don't change speed often, it's not all that useful. I have some
of each (flat and hilly).  On the flat part I set it once and
leave it, on the hilly part I'm fiddling with it each time
I go up or down hill.  So it depends on what your lawn is like.

BTW, the Kubota is a small diesel "compact tractor", this one
is a 15hp 7100 which is about the smallest compact.  I don't use it for
lawn mowing, but for all the other stuff-- leveling land for a small orchard,
pushing brush over, mowing weeds with a brush hog, loader work, and lately
running a big chipper/shredder.  I can't burn, so the chipper
is a godsend.  It's fscking scary the way it'll suck in a 30' long
4" branch and all the leaves in about 3 seconds, but its
really effective.. just keep body parts away.

I didn't intend on buying two tractors, but it turns out to have worked
out ok.  For both I went a little cheaper than, in retrospect, I should
have, but that's partially to do with my finances at the time.  If I knew
when I bought the tractors how much time I'd be spending on them, I'd have
gotten a real Deere riding mower with a v-twin and a newer Kubota with
power steering and a little more lift capacity.   But the Sabre is ok.
My wife thinks that the small backhoes that you can put on the new
Kubotas that're a litle larger than ours are cool, so maybe we'll get one.

Eric

///