Re: shop/slab questions

To: ericm@lne.com
Subject: Re: shop/slab questions
From: "Richard Boyce" <rboyce90@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 18:54:30 -0700
Your local building dept/inspector should be able to answer all your
questions concerning code issues. I assume you will have to take a permit to
buld the new shop so they will probably ge tinvolved at some time anyway.
Steel buildings can be finished both interior and exterior so that you will
never know that it was a steel building inthe first place.
I would tend to remove the existing slab and foundation and start over.
Consider excavating into the slope some more and building a retaining wall
that is independent of the new building. This could be done with the
landscape type retaing walls that you stack up and fill with gravel and
backfill or any one of another methods. I would make it seperate from the
building though.
Also consider building a pole style structure or one of its many derivitives
instead od a preengineered steel building. I built a 1200 sq. ft. shop,
finished inside and out, with a shingle roof(30 yr) and completely drywalled
interior, including electrical for 6500.00. This was 5 yrs. ago. I could
duplicate it today for the same amount. Granted all the labor was furnished
by me, but it is not hard. Actually easier than stick framing. From the
inside or out you can't tell it was built pole  style. It really is the
simplest and most economical way to build.
Just my 2 cents
Richard
P.s. That included heat too