RE: Anti-Freeze toxicity

To: "Bill Strickland" <strick@arches.uga.edu>,
Subject: RE: Anti-Freeze toxicity
From: "Paul Mele" <Paul.Mele@usermail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:33:25 -0400
Yes, folks, that's right...the actual lethal dose for Ethylene glycol is 2cc
/ kg of body weight for animals and peoples:
1 teaspoon is 5 cc
1 tablespoon is 15 cc.
2 tablespoons is 30 cc is 1 ounce.
1 kg is 2.2 pounds,   so....

22 pound dog (or cat[!], or child) weighs 10 kg;
2cc/kg * 10 kg = 20cc lethal dose
20 cc is 4 teaspoons, or 1 and 1/3 tablespoons of 100% antifreeze.

Of course, we're all running 33% to 50% dilutions, so multiply above by 3 or
2.  Now, go measure out 2 ounces of some colored liquid and pour it on your
driveway and see how little it is...

I don't know all the details about the toxicity of propylene glycol (the
ingredient in the new antifreze), but the MSDS (Material Safety and Data
Sheet) notes an LD50 (the Lethal Dose for 50% of) rats as 20 g/kg.  with a
specific gravity of 1.04, that's just about 19.1cc/ kg
...still roughly 10 times less toxic (you'd need to drink 10 times more for
the same effect).  I don't have any experience with the propylene glycol
personally, but will post if I find out more.

for all you budding chemists, consider these other numbers:

methyl alcohol toxic dose: 1cc/kg
ethylene glycol: 2cc/kg
isopropyl alcohol ("rubbing"): 1-3 cc/kg

all pretty toxic stuff.  Common booze contains ethyl alcohol...a close
cousin to all of the above...anyone want a beer?