Bandsaw problem solution

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Bandsaw problem solution
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 15:28:59 -0700

It was the blade.

I took it off and aligned the wheels.  While the blade was off, I put it
on the garage floor.  It's sort of potato-chip shaped.  Look at it from
the side and you can see that the front (teeth side) is smaller diameter
than the back.  Sit it on the floor on the back of the blade, and theres
two spots where there's 10mm between the back of the blade and the floor.

I've had this bandsaw for probably five years, it sees infrequent use.
I have had the blade problem since day one, although it's gotten worse.
Could the blade have been made this bad, or did it get this way from
sitting?  Are you supposed to slack off the tension when the saws'
not in use?

I put on a spare cheapo Enco blade I had, it went on much easier
and after some guide wheel adjustment, stayed on for the 20 or so
cuts that I had to do.  Now to see if I remember how to weld...

--
  Eric Murray http://www.lne.com/ericm  ericm at lne.com  PGP keyid:E03F65E5
                     Consulting Security Architect