Re: Bearing Grease Packer

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bearing Grease Packer
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 20:09:14 -0400
List,

   I've enjoyed the many different ideas on bearing packing, from the
traditional to the creative.  I make a living (?) on a flat-rate wage where
time is money.  I use an E-Z Packer bearing packer.  It's a clear plastic
"bottle" with a plunger inside.  You fill the thing with grease below the
plunger, place the bearings (stacked, two at a time for standard car
bearings) over a post on top of the piston, install a tapered piece on top
of them and then just stand on the thing. (Or in dirt floored garages, use a
vise)  Old grease is pushed out as new grease from below the piston is
forced through the bearing.  Just wipe the old grease away and you're done.
On my own stuff I still clean the bearings before I repack them, but on
customers cars I'll just ram in some new grease if there's no grit in the hub.
   I got My E-Z Packer off the Cornwell Tool truck, but every tool dealer
oughto be able to lay their hands on one.  Comes with a protective dust
cover for when it's not in use.  Even has a grease fitting so you can pump
more grease below the piston with a grease gun without ever taking it apart.

   While I'm giving away flat-rate tricks, and we're talking bearings, let
me give you another time saver when doing a front brake job.  You've gotto
get that grease seal out of the hub before you remove the inside bearing,
right?  Big hammer and brass drift?  Much faster and easier way is to just
reinstall the spindle nut after removing the outer bearing.  Then slide the
rotor off with the inner bearing riding along the spindle til it contacts
the nut.  Just a little pop will leave you with the grease seal and the
inner bearing hanging on the spindle, and no grease on your hands. (Keeps
dirt, rust scale and brake dust from falling all over the bearing too!)
Most of the ones I get are shot anyway, so I usually replace them, but on
new car warranty work I have been able to reuse them this way.  I thought
everyone did it this way til I watched the new kid at work (Yeah, the SEVEN
HOUR water pump kid) using a big hammer and screwdriver.

   Good luck, and remember...old mechanic's never die, they just lose their
bearings.

Chuck Rothfuss
Pole Cat Hollow, NC  (No, I don't have a dirt floor in my garage!)