Re: Air Impact tool rec?

To: Douglas Shook <dshook@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: Air Impact tool rec?
From: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 16:18:45 -0500
Douglas Shook wrote:

> Shop Talkers,
>
> I have a "Heavy Duty" 1/2" drive air impact wrench that doesn't have
> enough torque to break the lug nuts loose on my old 1975 Ford E250.  I
> break them loose by hand and then run them off with the wrench--really
> "heavy duty," no?
>
> Does anybody have a recommendation for a good 1/2" drive air wrench?
> I'm willing to spend whatever it takes so I can throw the one I have
> into the street in front of the garbage truck...
>
> thanks,
>
> doug
I use campbell-housfeld crap at home.  My buddy the professional has a
Chicago Pneumatic that will undo darn near anything.  I suppose he runs
more air pressure than I also.  He uses a cheaper Chicago Pneumatic for
his regular work, but when he wants to unscrew a VW bearing keeper or
some such, the big green one comes out of the box.  I think it cost
several hundred dollars, but for a pro, it is worth it.