Extrude Hone

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Extrude Hone
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 18:45:00 +0000
-> Have anyone on this list done any work using this process?  If so,
-> what have been your experience with the process and its results?

 I've not heard of anyone doing it at home, though it's possible.  I
recently read Extrude Hone has switched to clay instead of the silicone
putty they used to use.  I should have thought of that on my own.

 Basically the process involves a large reservoir of abrasive clay or
putty, a means of pressurizing it so it is forced through the workpiece,
and a hardened steel adapter between the workpiece and the reservoir.
The adapter is used to prevent the goo from excessively working the
opening of the workpiece.

 When the reservoir is empty, the operator scoops the goo back up, dumps
it back in the top, and runs it through again.  The process is repeated
until the workpiece is gouged out to the desired size.

 I imagine it would take a little experimentation to find the proper
pressure, putty consistency, and number of passes, but it doesn't look
overly technical, just a bit large and awkward to fabricate for a home
shop.