Re: BOUNCE shop-talk: Non-member submission from ["Thomas Wannenburg" <t

To: Thomas Wannenburg <twannen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>
Subject: Re: BOUNCE shop-talk: Non-member submission from ["Thomas Wannenburg" <twannen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>]
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 08:58:52 -0500
Mark J Bradakis wrote:

>      Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 13:34:19 -0500 (EST)
>      From: "Thomas Wannenburg"  <twannen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>
>      Subject: Re: flanging tools/nibblers
>
>    I have been on the lookout for something like this myself and have not
> found it in any of the usual places (Sears, Home Depot, Lowes).  I just
> ordered the Eastwood catalogue.  Could someone please give me a number for
> Harbour Freight thier name keeps cropping up, and I feel like I must be
> missing something to not have thier catalogue.
>    I did read a suggestion in an MG Midget restoration book: The author made
> his own "flanger" by welding small pieces of metal on the inside of the jaws
> of a mole wrench.
>     Along the same vein - any reccomendations regarding nibblers.  I need a
> small tool to get into narrow recesses in the back of my boot.  I have areas
> of localized rust to get rid of and nither my air hammer nor my angle cutter
> will reach in there.  Has anyone tried the small hand - nibbler sold by
> Eastwood?  The air nibbler I saw at Home Depot looked like it would take more
> air than my 5hp 20gal compressor will deliver.
>
> Regards,
> Tom Wannenburg
> 74 MG Midget

Tom,

First, you are not subscribed to shop-talk.  You probably will want to
do something about that.   ;-)

I have both of the small Eastwood flangers and the hand nibbler.  They
work, but take much effort.

The hand nibbler works great for what it was designed for, cutting sheet
metal without distorting either piece. But given it's size, it is tough
to get any good results in tight quarters.  You really need to have at
least a foot of clearance directly behind and parallel to the cut.  The
angle the nibbler works at in relation to the piece being cut is pretty
critical as well. Remember, it takes a lot of hand power to cut good
metal.  I have not tried the air nibbler, but am going to buy one
shortly.

I think your application may require the air nibbler, as manuevering in
the boot with a hand nibbler might not be possible.  If you think you do
not have enough air capacity, how about just letting your compressor run
until it stops, then use the air nobbler until the pressure switch kicks
the compressor in.  Stop cutting until your pressure catches up.  Might
take some time but should get the job done.

The Eastwood flangers are essentially a standard vice-grip with two
stepped blocks welded to the jaws.  One does a one inch wide flange, the
other a three inch wide flange.  They work, but are a real chore on
anything big.  Then, of course, on anything small, a roll flanger will
not work.  I am not doing another big project using my small flangers on
big pieces.  Too much work.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Henry Frye